Translate

May 20, 2016

Incredible video shows all the hidden corners of Hong Kong – and it was created spontaneously by a foreigner

Videographer Brandon Li was visiting family in the city when he decided to create his film Hong Kong Strong

RACHEL.BLUNDY@SCMP.COM

UPDATED : Friday, 20 May, 2016, 2:48pm

The Hong Kong skyline in Brandon Li’s film. Photo: Brandon Li/Vimeo

Hong Kong’s incredible sights and sounds have been captured in a new video proving popular online – and its American creator has revealed his decision to film it was entirely spontaneous.

Brandon Li has been hailed for his stunning film Hong Kong Strong, a seven-minute romp through the city in the days leading up to the Lunar New Year.

The 34-year-old American filmmaker, whose father is from Hong Kong, was visiting family in the city when he became inspired to put the project together.

Speaking to the South China Morning Post about the film’s success, he said: “Hong Kong is a city which feels like it cannot exist. It is this mix of British and Chinese culture – it is filled with an uncontainable energy of beautiful corners that are sometimes hidden.”

Li revealed that persuading Hongkongers to appear in the film, which he released on Wednesday through his production company RunGunShoot, was particularly challenging.

Hong Kong Strong from Brandon Li on Vimeo.

He said it was only when he or his producer, Ansley Sawyer, had previously made contact with a potential subject that they were willing to be filmed.

Li said: “When I first started, it was really difficult to get people to agree to appear on camera. A lot of people were very wary. They thought maybe I was from the government.

“They did not know why I was filming – they wanted no part of it. Whereas for past projects, like in Bali, I could walk up to people with a camera and they would smile at me.”

Describing his decision to create the film, he said: “I went to Hong Kong to see family whom I had not seen for a long time – I had only met them once or twice before. I wanted to meet all these cousins I had never really known.

Lion dancers perform during Lunar New Year. Photo: Brandon Li/Vimeo

“I’d previously been to Hong Kong only as a kid and then again in 2000 just after the handover. This was the first time I had been there as a fully fledged adult.

“I saw it in a completely new way. I wanted to show diversity and not give one view of Hong Kong.”

Li’s film has been widely praised online, receiving more than 60,000 views on Vimeo and 5,000 likes on Facebook as of Friday.

He said: “The reaction has been really great – both from locals and foreigners. I was wondering whether people in Hong Kong might think I had misrepresented them, but I have not had that response.”

Li, who also makes films for tourism boards on a freelance basis, shot in a wide range of locations – including Mong Kok, Quarry Bay, The Peak and Sai Kung. He said his profile of Hong Kong aimed to take the viewer on a roller-coaster ride through its colourful streets, representing all classes and strands of life.

His father and uncle appear briefly drinking tea in the film at the very end.

“It was the first time I’d seen them together in 10 or 15 years – it was cool to see them hanging out,” he said.

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/1948478/incredible-video-shows-all-hidden-corners-hong