Translate

August 06, 2014

We want protection, tour guides demand

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=148084&sid=42754757&con_type=1&d_str=20140806&fc=4
Wednesday, August 06, 2014

A group of tour guides staged a protest outside the Travel Industry Council yesterday calling on executive director Joseph Tung Yao-chung to step down and for more protection at work.About 50 protesters carried placards calling for the return of dignity to tour guides.
The protest was in response to an attack on a female guide last month by a mainland tourist whose request to visit Disneyland was rejected.
Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong chairman Michael Wu Siu-ying said he will not tolerate violence and will discuss a solution with officers in charge of tours.
He also admitted it was his fault for not following up on the attack.
ADVERTISEMENT

The guides said they are furious at the indifference of the council over the attack. They also complained that the council as well as travel agencies express concern only when they receive complaints from tourists.
Tour guide representative Lam Siu- lun said many tourists knew they could get additional benefits if they complained.
"Many barbaric tourists will adopt this attitude in future," Lam said.
"The council is supposed to be protecting us and not the tourists."
A 22-year-old tourist had asked the guide, 40, to take the group to Disneyland. He became furious when told the tour did not cover that trip and grabbed her neck and also threw an object at her. She was treated in hospital.
HILARY WONG